LarsHP wrote:
> NAS versus PC - any sound quality difference?

Short answer: No.

A little longer answer: Everything written about jitter having any
effect in this context is bullshit. Squeezeboxes are asynchroneous wrt
to Ethernet. In fact, Ethernet is asynchroneous in its nature. So don't
believe the magical thinking and the noise machines who insist on it.

> thus timing of the data stream could be more precise
Ethernet is asynchroneous. There is no data stream, at least not in the
way your sentence implies. All the data is transmitted in 'packets'
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_frame), and as long as all the
packets reach their destination, the order or timing of the packet is
irrelevant. As in, mathematically/logically irrelevant. Which, in
layman's terms means -completely, utterly, totally- irrelevant.

The whole point of the Squeezebox is to turn those discrete packets back
into a "stream" of audio. The Squeezebox is not a sound card. It is a
transport.

If you want to learn more about this, I suggest you start with Ethernet.
Wikipedia has plenty.