pippin wrote:
> I beg to differ.
>
> It's not a good article. It's actually a very bad article. I agree with
> the general direction making clear that a "free culture" is bad for
> musicians and that they have to make money and that it's not OK to just
> "pirate" music but the article is full of stereotypes, false claims and
> bad/wrong examples.
> It's not true that I can get any music I want with a few clicks
> (legally, that is). It's true for Lady Gaga, but she has no income
> problem, too. But of the music I listen to and buy today (even the new
> one!) less than 50% is even available on iTunes. Spotify et al are a
> little better but they are also villains by David Lowery's measures.
>
> I'm too lazy and have too little time to hunt down stuff on file sharing
> or download sites so there's a lot of stuff I will only ever get through
> streaming services or mixes, but I WOULD buy that stuff if it was just
> available....
>
> ...Of course I don't know details about the contracts involved and I
> would not claim that there weren't legitimate reasons for EMI's
> position, and also David Lowery sure knows much more than I do about
> what was going on with this and maybe it was between the artists, I
> don't know....

I'm rather confused. You slam the specific Sparklehorse example and then
admit the article's author probably knows "much more" than you about the
details. I don't understand the logic of claiming this is a bad example
while at the same time admitting the author almost certainly knows the
facts of the situation far more clearly.

I know that I don't know - I don't listen to that particular style of
music - but your complaint comes off looking odd.

I do know that business situations can get complicated and messy, with
the underlying cause of a problem manifesting itself to the public in
ways that don't clearly reveal the roots.

The music business has always used the massive sales of their most
popular artists to support the whole, whether based on Madonna, Gaga or
Bing Crosby. They were willing to gamble on new artists and put up with
most of their artists having mediocre or poor sales because the money
worked out. They never knew where the next one-hit wonder or enduring
superstar would arise.

Unfortunately, that system doesn't work too well when most of your
customers think they are entitled to free stuff, whether for the big
names or the not-so-big. One can nitpick about the root causes involved
in the specific examples, but I think, overall, the article's author
makes a valid point and illustrates it well.