Pippin, guess we'll just have to agree to mostly disagree regarding the
impact of piracy on the music business. You seem to want to
substantially discount the impact, preferring to assign blame to various
aspects of corporate greed.

However, big corporations have always been greedy, and the music
companies are no exception. Your example regarding MTV is hardly new. Up
to 1941, ASCAP was virtually the sole US copyright entity. Their
contract with the radio stations was expiring and on renewal, they
attempted to double dip on the fees charged for radio stations to
broadcast music. The stations refused. ASCAP simply assumed they had all
the cards in their hand and the stations would cave in short order.

They didn't, but instead formed BMI and started broadcasting public
domain material (they say Stephen Foster had a big revival). The radio
stations also started recording their own music, using musicians and
composers not under the ASCAP contract. This consisted heavily of
country/hillbilly and black music, which became very popular with the
public. The styles eventually merged to become rock 'n roll.

It sure disrupted the status quo, but the big music companies eventually
co-opted the upstart and absorbed them into the corporate structure.

Time will tell if the music industry figures a way to live with the new
reality. While some of their problems were indeed self-created (the MTV
situation sounds like a near repeat of 1941), a lot of people would
disagree with you that piracy is not a problem. A widespread sense of
entitlement is an issue and has its costs, whether they are fully
understood in advance or not.

I'll now bow out of this discussion, as I've pretty much said what I
have to say. Hope you find something good to listen to this evening. I'm
enjoying the Schubert Ensemble's version of Franck's Piano Quintet in F
minor. Good stuff.