bhaagensen wrote:
> Good times and we're all in agreement :)
>
> But.
>
> The one-liner scientific argument (Nyquist) doesn't carry through to the
> end (the analog outputs of Your DAC). While Nyquist is a very nice
> result, its theoretical and for practical purposes, non-constructive. So
> an implementation is forced to take another route on which there lies
> traps that are not so simple anymore. So there are issues which aren't
> simply true-false in the math kind of sense (like Nyquist), and so there
> can be room for discussion.
>
> The problem I suppose, is that as soon as we are talking real-life
> devices, the implementation matters.

Of course in reality things are recorded in hirez and when the stuff is
in the system and mastered it could then mathematically be "reduced"
these algorithms are damn near perfect implementations these days .
And then of-course the DAC oversamples to a very high rate to use some
real world affordable and cheap filters et all .
But the dat carier could be near perfcet these days .

So given modern studios the CD's or downloads is a mathematical exercise
so imo it is close to the theory

A good home experiment is to take some of your hirez downloads ( i do
have hundreds of them ) and use SoX in some of it's good "best" settings
,not some weird "audiophile" aproved  apodizing emulation (shallow
fillters do attenuate the treble to early if you are young you will hear
this ).
And have a listen , in practice I do this now and then I must admit that
I have yet to find a definitive difference and for kicks try both
24/44.1 and 16/44.1 of you precius 24/192 master.
And do not be surprised if the cd version on a hybrid disc or similar
does not sound anything like this ;) In best case these hirez files are
cut from much better masters ,but it is a complex issue better to
approve the thing with the popular hirez moniker to improve sales .

"Remastered" is usually a label of the exact opposite process making old
stuff sound modern and abuse them the way new stuff are done, so
audiophile would not buy "remastered" a better label is something like
24/192 studio master and yes these can be much better version but not
for the reasons you might think .

But all this is surpased by the real world soundquality of most
recordings , hence we are all discussing the wrong problem we get back
to this topic when recording quality in general is up to it :) or even
up to lowly CD spec ?

Some audiophile labels and classical labels may cut it sometimes ,but
they are exceptions sometimes we must have real music too