Julf wrote:
> Not really. Software keeps getting increasingly big and bloated (and RAM
> price keeps dropping), but human hearing hasn't changed much in the last
> couple of thousands of years - and if it has changed, it has probably
> changed for the worse because of all the noise exposure.

Yes the limit is biological/biomechanical  , any improvement are likely
to come from improved studio equipment, no equipment i know of have come
close the "limit" implied by 24bit for example 144dB sn ratio .

So the format is also transparent to all audio equipment used ,it is
better than stuff we use to record and playback with of-course in the
frequency domain we can do "better" (or rather more ) ,but that just a
waste as here the biological limits of our hearing sets in