ralphpnj wrote:
> I keep stating this over and over: the loudness war only exists on
> popular music releases....

I'll have to mildly disagree. If the problem had never made it past
American Idol, I wouldn't know of its existence. I've even found some
classical records that suffer from the problem -- for example, I think
the Emerson Quartet's Mendelssohn recordings and Olga Kern's Brahms
Variations are too closely miked. The liner notes for the Emerson
Quartet recordings point out that 14 mikes were used to record a string
quartet!

Plenty of modern jazz, folk and other recordings suffer from this issue,
though perhaps not as glaringly as the material marketed to teenagers.
I've worked a lot with Adobe Audition over the years and there is a good
match between what one sees visually on a track and what one hears. More
than once I've seen a modern drum track where there is absolute
uniformity in the peak volume of drum strikes. In older recordings that
type of track would have a natural variation in loudness that sounded
less in-your-face and, well, more natural.

Just like any other fad, popular trends end up affecting everything. The
audio world is not immune from that behavior. It's just ironic that the
more headroom our music formats give, the less that is used.