Next up - my classic "Slim Devices" Squeezebox 3 (I believe this is one
of the "first run" units; I was on a waitlist at introduction):

RESULTS:
14305
First 2 columns are the stock SB3+stock wallwart connected to my
basement music server by WiFi. Notice that 24-bit data does result in
dropping of the noise floor by ~6dB. It looks like the good ol' SB3
internal DAC is capable of about 17-bit resolution when fed with
24-bits. Note that the old Stereophile review from 2006 did not measure
24-bit performance.

Second 2 columns are the same setup but with the ethernet (hooked up to
my DLink gigabit switch 6 feet away). Essentially no difference compared
to the WiFi.

Final column is with the SB3 over WiFi but the *SB Touch wallwart*. I
see folks here talking about the crappy wallwart (true, the UNIFIVE
wallwart looks and feels nasty compared to the one that came with the
Touch!). I fed the 24-bit data and the result is essentially the same as
the UNIFIVE. Based on these measurements, I don't see any evidence that
the Touch wallwart would improve the stock SB3 performace.

Frequency Response:
14306

Decent - obviously not as flat as Essence 1 above from 20Hz-20kHz...

Noise Floor:
14307

16-bit data obviously not as good as 24-bits. No difference between the
WiFi vs. Ethernet groups.

CONCLUSION:
1. The SB3 can benefit from 24-bit "hi-res" audio. Whether you can hear
the extra 5-6dB is your problem :-)
2. I see no evidence that a Touch wallwart would improve the performance
over the cheap stock power supply.
3. No evidence that running in WiFi mode will add any noise to the SB3
output. (Also, no evidence of higher WiFi data latency or possible
jitter issues showing up in these measurement.)

Next up...  SB Touch this afternoon...

|Filename: SB3_Noise_Floor.jpg                                      |
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14307|