ralphpnj wrote:
> Interesting, very interesting!
>
> Thanks for this very useful and insightful information. Please keep up
> the good work.

Oh, the things we do for a hobby :-)
It's fun to try this stuff to hopefully understand it myself instead of
getting spoon-fed by the standard audiophile press.

I added the THD graphs as well to the above.

Along with the RightMark measurements, I recorded the Dunn J-Test signal
through the devices also but am having a heck of a time figuring out
what FFT program & parameters to use (eg. what FFT size,
Hanning/Hamming/Blackmann..., etc.) for jitter analyze. So far, the
signals look very clean; it's certainly possible the E-Mu's ADC jitter
is high and overwhelming the picosecond effects. Anyone in the know
about the J-Test please point me to the right direction!

Some might wonder if a better USB cable makes a difference...  Short
answer: NO.

Long answer:
I torture-tested the USB2.0 connection by:
1. Connecting the E-Mu in loopback (both DAC & ADC functions) mode to
the front USB connector which is attached to the motherboard USB header
with thin unshielded wires.
2. I connected the E-Mu in loopback to an external USB 7-port hub.
3. While in condition 2, I did a file copy with an external USB
harddrive transferring ~24MB/sec through that hub while running the
RightMark test!

Even under condition 3 which is about as bad as you can get in terms of
saturating the USB port, there was no difference in the results! Usual
charts and graphs below...
14313
14314
14315
14316

And a picture of the SB3 on my test bench this AM getting checked out
:-)
14317

|Filename: SB3.jpg                                                  |
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14317|