As mentioned in the 1st post, I'm waiting for the results of my blind
MP3 test...

In the interim, I wondered if my measurement setup can be fooled by MP3.
So, with the AUNE X1 still connected, lets run the test signal lossless
vs. MP3 through and see!

Summary results:
14345

Not bad!  When condensed into a single number, the different MP3
bitrates look fine! However, here's an example where single digit
measurements can be very deceiving.

Frequency response:
14346

Again, MP3 looks pretty decent.  However, you can start seeing the lower
bitrates drop off in the high frequency prematurely beginning with 128
kbps (green) in sequence. Noticeable effect with lossless compression
but not bad...

Noise:
14347

Once again, not bad...  What can I say, silence doesn't need many bits
to encode :-)

THD:
14348

The "money shot" right there! It's obvious we can now differentiate the
lossless (white) from the lossy compressed. There appears to be a large
gap between the distortion from 128 to the rest. 192, 256, and 320 kbps
all congregate together pretty close and I suspect for many of us, this
correlates to 192 kbps+ being quite transparent.

This is why MP3 compression effect is probably quite close to VERY
SEVERE jitter distortion (? at least tens of nanoseconds) in that it's
correlated to the signal itself beyond simply single sidebands.

Conclusion:
You cannot fool machines with psychoacoustics!!!

|Filename: MP3_THD.jpg                                              |
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14348|