Mnyb wrote:
> Like a coincidence , if DVDA or SACD has a cd quality layer ,this layer
> always sounds worse than the hirez ;)

Check out the CD layers of the remastered Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan
hybrid SACDs, in particular, Let It Bleed by the Stones. The CD layers
benefit from the DSD remastering of the SACD layer and really sound
good.

ralphpnj wrote:
> For anything recorded since the beginning of the stereo era (about the
> mid 1950s) it's not the age of the recording but rather the quality of
> the recording that matters. There are plenty of recordings from the
> 1950s and 1960s which sound as good as anything recorded today. For
> example Miles Davis' "kind of Blue" is very well recorded and compares
> favorably with most "modern" recordings.

I quite agree about Kind Of Blue. Some other good ones: Getz/Gilberto
SACD (2011 Analogue Productions remaster), Getz & Byrd Jazz Samba (1994
DCC remaster). Of course they would sound better with a Shunyata
Research ZTRON Anaconda power cable, but unfortunately I'm stuck with
the stock power cord for my Bryston amp.