garym wrote:
> Hmmm, so a Bernoulli trial where one could calculate the overall
> probability of guessing independently on each question in an 'N' item
> exam where the probability of a correct pure guess being .25 for each
> trial (4 options) as compared to guessing "C" on all N items.  But then
> I guess it gets messy because I'd have to make some assumptions about
> the distribution of "C" as correct answer across the the N items (which
> is your point about what professors tend to choose).   I need more
> coffee.  ;-)

So with 10 questions, .25 prob of getting any question correct (four
possible answers, pure guessing), I'd have a probability of getting 1 or
more correct answers of 0.9437. With 100 questions, the probability of
getting 1 or more right  is 0.9999.  With the critical assumption of at
least one question having "C" as the correct answer, if I guess C on
each of the 10 (or 100) questions, the probability of getting at least
one right is 100%.