RonM wrote:
> More off topic. . .
>
> I'd have thought that would be the case only if there was some
> systematic non-randomness in the original assignment of rightness to B
> or C.  IF that assignment is truly random, then it doesn't matter what
> mechanism the test taker uses to determine which to choose.
>
> If the original assignment was done on some non-random basis, problems
> of course arise, but only if all professors tend to choose the same
> method, e.g. never make C the right answer.  If some always use C and
> some always use B, and this proportion is roughly proportional or can't
> be known, it still shouldn't make any difference what method the test
> taker uses to determine the selected option if what's true isn't
> actually known.
>
> R.

Hmmm, so a Bernoulli trial where one could calculate the overall
probability of guessing independently on each question in an 'N' item
exam where the probability of a correct pure guess being .25 for each
trial (4 options) as compared to guessing "C" on all N items.  But then
I guess it gets messy because I'd have to make some assumptions about
the distribution of "C" as correct answer across the the N items (which
is your point about what professors tend to choose).   I need more
coffee.  ;-)