garym wrote:
> Thanks for the info.  I was referring to the earlier specific comment
> (above) and something much simpler in terms of the question of testing
> S/PDIF vs Toslink (no USB involved).  And this could be done without EDO
> being involved.

Hi Gary,

Yes, Coax and optical outputs are active at the same time and you can
compare them. It requires a reboot to swap between SPDIF/COAX out and
USB out.

I must admit I've never looked at the protocols involved in conducting
such a test. I assume that the test subject must not know which is
which, and I guess a single test subject (me) isn't going to be proving
much anyway. To be honest, I'm not sure I would go to the trouble of
doing a Double blind ABX test as I am already clear about what I prefer
and am not out to prove there is a statistically valid subjective
difference. More relevant to this thread is doing some comparative
measurement to see if there is anything that is measurable using
something very similar to Archimango's test rig.

Anyway, I'll have a look at how one might do an ABX out of curiosity -
any good links relevant to my sort of config?.

Cheers,
Alex