SoftwireEngineer wrote:
> @Archimago - you make it sound like your system has attained a stage of
> Nirvana that nothing changes the sound of it :-)  Or maybe you have so
> that you can hear the music clearly in your head, even without the
> system being on :-)
> Anyways, reading a thread on audibility of jitter - Steve Nugent says,
> he has been 'wasting his time' on improving jitter. That is a very
> philosophical statement if you read deeply. I think I have seen you on
> audioasylum. But you need to frequent head-fi.org, if not already. This
> is where I find people who understand some technical things - for eg
> when they talk about a DAC they always talk about the receiver chip used
> in it (which can help reject jitter).

No. Not achieved Nirvana as a "system" but within the stuff I can
measure - in this case the line-level DAC stuff primarily,then the
technology IMO has matured to the point where there's not much if
anything to be gained over the last ~5-10.

>From the perspective of speakers, room acoustics, there's much more that
can be done but I'll need to build a new sound room before I can get
heavy into that! Also, IMO a big part of the challenge now is not the
hardware, but rather finding and collecting the best mastering of
digital music. That's why I spend quite a bit of time reading on the
Steve Hoffman forums and obtaining remasters from MFSL and AP.

I've been at head-fi, more so over the last year when I was on a
headphone binge with acquisition of the HD800 and AKG701's. Recently I
posted some graphs in the XONAR Essence One thread around issues with
the upsampling for example with the hopes that ASUS will fix the
firmware.

At this point, I'm quite convinced through my own measuring experiments
and hearing tests that factors like jitter play a very minimal part in a
good sounding system. Sure, like anything, if it's found in extreme
amounts, that's bad, but I have yet to find a relatively well engineered
piece of equipment that's "extreme" in this regard...  Heck, even a $200
Chinese eBay DAC does quite well.  Pull up a song in a wave editor and
have a look at the frequency spectrum while playing and it becomes
obvious that the kinds of jitter we're seeing and the levels they're
showing up is completely irrelevant and this correlates well with the
science of it. That of course doesn't mean I'm not interested in the
newest tech, just that I have no compulsion to just buy something that
is the "latest and greatest" when I have some context as to what level
of performance I've already purchased.