If every thread topic devolves into a debate about how much something
costs, then what can we learn?

Ralph, I've asked you several times to borrow any of the top players
that I suggest.  I have absolutely no doubt at all whatsover that what
you hear will be shocking (assuming your hearing is normal and the room
is good).  I've personally experienced this myself having upgraded from
the Transporter to the Cary 306.  I wonder if you find that the basic
Squeezebox Duet delivers the same fidelity as the Transporter?  No?  Ok,
then.  So let me tell you that without any doubt at all the Cary
trounced the Transporter by an enormous margin.  Why?  The analog stage
is far, far better.  The power supply, again, is WAY better.  The
implementation of the DAC section is simply on the next level.

Let us have a discussion of the "best top end" players in this thread.
Please.