mlsstl wrote:
> We'll just have to disagree on the issue of the best analog being
> superior to the best digital.
>
> I've been lucky enough to have been in some studios over the years and
> heard direct mike feeds and the analog open reel playback. There is
> always a loss. Tape has its own issues with non-linearity and noise that
> are always present. And though a carefully made LP can still sound very
> good, it is yet even further away from the original feed than the tape.
>

> Conversely, I find a digital recording that hasn't been processed to be
> the closest to the original feed. I know I'm a stuck record on this
> issue, but digital is not what's wrong with digital. Rather it's the
> faddishly unfortunate processing and manipulation that's been popular in
> the industry for too many years that makes so many CDs sound poor.

All that notwithstanding, I still fondly recall some of my (admittedly
rare) experiences with vinyl that put any, even the highest audiophile
grade digital transfers to shame. I think it is devilishly hard to
achieve decent sounding digital reproduction. It can be done, but
requires a lot of knowledge, something you can't buy by merely walking
into a high-end audio store with bags of money.

But I can just as easily see myself siding with your opinion, if only I
had never been fortunate enough to sit in front of a kick-ass turntable
playing one of those rare copies of high quality LPs. Once you
experience that, you unmistakably know for the rest of your life how
music should actually be reproduced.

Not everyone was fortunate/unfortunate to experience that. Rarer than
hen's teeth.