heisenberg wrote:
> But the bottom-line question is, who asked them to act on our behalf and
> for our own benefit? The answer is simple: no one ever asked them to do
> so, nor will anyone ever ask them to perform such idiotic duty.
> Nevertheless, they feel compelled to keep charging with their
> self-appointed crusade. That's precisely why do-gooders are the most
> annoying people in the world.

There's another group of people who are just as annoying. They are the
ones who insist that their hearing couldn't possibly be influenced by
their own mind. They regard their own perception as a calibrated
scientific instrument. They also come up with elaborate "scientific"
explanations to "prove" their perception is right, then combine that
with convoluted explanations to discount any need to explain their
consistently poor performance in blind tests (if they even consent to
participate). They are also the first to denigrate anyone who doesn't
believe as they do -- that person must have an inferior system, bad
hearing, or is just a fool.

I'm in the "I like what I like" category. I don't need babble-science to
justify my choices and I'm also willing to spend extra if I happen to
like the way something looks, do-gooders be damned. I'd be pleased to
see both groups mentioned above go away.