darrell wrote:
> I suppose that humidity would likely have a greater effect than the type
> of (lossless) compression. Light levels I'm not so sure about, although
> if it got so dark that I couldn't find my armchair or remote control,
> there would be consequences...

You need to develop your tactile senses with the remote control so you
can use it in total darkness, or invest in equipment which features a
remote which has a feature to enable it to light up by pressing the
appropriate button. I do notice a difference when using a lighted remote
which tends to impart a veil on the music so I generally disable that
feature and rely upon my memory of the button positions in order to
avoid any semblance of sound coloration.