ralphpnj wrote:
> I beg to differ - often it is not opinion which is being stated but
> simply pure misinformation. Misinformation is very useful to those who
> are trying to get someone else to buy something that they really don't
> need. For example a $500 USB cable. Misinformation is also useful when
> the true would lead to a situation which is bad for business. For
> example the current anti-climate change disinformation campaign being
> waged by the big oil companies.
>
> In short science is good when it's good for business and science is bad
> when it's bad for business. I love capitalism!

I don't disagree.  But even ignoring the intentional spread of FUD and
misinformation (for money), I'd even settle for more reliance on facts,
evidence, and rigor by folks that don't have money on the table.  The
"false equivalence" of two sides to a question that the media seems to
use (even if there are actual facts that make one side "truth" and the
other side "false") drives me crazy sometimes.