ralphpnj wrote:
> Nor did Mr. Swenson give any numbers or measurements regarding the types
> of errors these green markers are supposed to correct. His response was
> all very nicely written and with a seemingly clear logical and
> scientific foundation but all beyond the prose and everything quickly
> falls apart.
>
> So let's parse a little, shall we?
>

> Sound reasonable, right? So the electrical noise generated by the
> tracking circuits is that noise audible and does this noise get
> transmitted or carried through the DAC circuits and into the analog
> output? And what would this "noise" sound like and how would one measure
> it? Or is it all quantum mechanics and beyond my understanding?

First off I never said it created errors (as in actual bit errors). What
I found was noise on the power and ground lines, which was decreased
when playing the treated CD. A good old fashioned spectrum analyzer
showed it nicely, no special quantum micro analyzer needed. I didn't
take any pictures or such I was just testing things out for my own
interest, I wasn't trying to put together a "proof" for 20 years later.
I can't redo any such test because the player I was using has long
ceased to function and I don't have the one treated CD anymore. (or
maybe I do, but I can't find it now).

The sonic affect was small so I did not consider it worthwhile to spend
the time to paint all of my CDs, so I dropped the whole thing.

Several years later when that CD player died I switched to a DVD player,
and noticed some significant differences in sound with the DVD player,
which led to another round of testing players. In this case the culprit
was vibrations exciting mechanical resonances of the magnetic suspension
system of the DVD lens assembly. The servo loop has to work hard to keep
these under control. There is a lot of EMI floating around the player
from these tracking adjustments. This did wind up on the audio out.
Again I didn't bother to take pictures of this, I  wasn't trying  to
convince anybody or writes papers on this. Various vibration control
schemes did make  significant changes in this noise. I did try try the
"green" CD with this and found  there was some slight change in  the
noise, but it was  difficult to distinguish due to the vibrationally
induced tracking noise.

John S.