netchord wrote:
> it may not be well calibrated, but it is well-educated.
>
> frankly, it seems your biases are much more thoroughly ingrained, ie,
> the bias that no such change could possibly affect the sound.
>
> in the words of bob stuart: "everything matters."

I and some others here have a bias for the evidence based approach...
Which, in all honesty, is not a bad bias to have.

You posted that removing itunes integration improved sound quality.  I
am saying I don't think so.    And I am saying simply saying it sounds
better is not considered proof because human hearing is easily confused.
You need to be able to consistently differentiate the sound without
knowing which source is which?  Surely that's a fair view?

How does integration affect sound quality.  It's only active while
scanning the library.  So once you've scanned the library the situation
is the exactly the same:
With integration: LMS has a database entry with title, album, artist
pointing to some file on the hard drive.
Without integration: LMS has a database entry with possibly a slightly
different (but in most cases the same) title, album, artist pointing to
the SAME FILE.

What you say is causing a difference cannot cause a difference in audio.
And if that's the only change you are incorrectly hearing a difference.

Louis
'Last.fm' (http://www.last.fm/user/lrossouw)