First, your post is excellent, informative and well explained end to end. But
in particular your discussion of the difference between analog and digital
transmission methods reminded me of this wonderful short video essay about
Claude Shannon who basically pioneered the analog to digital paradigm shift:

http://vimeo.com/98345492

It was the change that no-one saw coming: the idea that we could take a book, a
painting or a song and send it through cables and wires and even thin air to
the other end of the world - and it would be identical on the other side. But
this idea underpins everything about the Information Age we live in.
How did we make such a mind bending transition into the digital world? And how
does it work? It turns out it's all based on a concept that is surprisingly
beautiful in its simplicity. This short video essay explores what that idea is
and tells you about the man who figured it all out.

About 6 minutes long and highly recommended even for (especially for)
non-techies.

SBB