i complete agree with those saying the LMS system still has extremely
complelling advantages.

these days i use a Touch with a pretty good external DAC in my main
system and i am *extremely* happy with it. i have packed the LMS system
into an OVA file so i can henceforth spin it up quickly within VM
Player, which should add some years, and have some replacement Boxen.
the prices the Touch commands on Ebay are a testament to the unique
value of the LMS ecosystem (and Logitech's myopic vision,
unfortunately).

if for some reason my LMS system was to disappear overnight, after
tearing out my hair and being grief-struck for a week i'd prolly simply
connect my DAC directly to a media computer via USB. there are plenty of
good control solutions for that (check out jriver). but you'd lose synch
between players and other neat stuff. i love the simplicity of the LMS
concept.

...pablo
Server: Virtual Machine running Ubuntu 12.04 + LMS 7.7.3 on VMware
Player
System: SB Touch --optical->- Benchmark DAC2HGC --AnalysisPlus Oval
Copper XLR->- Creek Destiny Power Amp --AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval->-
KEF LS50
Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Classic-> AudioEngine5