Candlemass wrote:
> Tell it the audio engineers in the studio :p

They are creating the information. That's something else than not
distorting it. After the audio engineer has worked on it the music often
sounds nothing like the raw material he got at all.

> Why does it matter if you have a DAC, an amplifier and a speaker or a
> DAC and an amplifier inside your speaker? :rolleyes: Your chain does not
> get shorter this way, it's just built in one box instead of three boxes.

That's not true.
You save two important parts which account for the biggest part of the
loss in an audio chain today:

1. Cables. As mentioned above, for a line level signal that's not
negligible at all. Even with balanced outputs/inputs there still can and
will be EMC issues over several meters. That goes away if the DAC is in
the speaker.

2. Passive filters. Probably the number 1. If your amp is not matched to
the speaker (and actually to each driver within the speaker) you need to
use a passive, analog filter to separate the frequencies and to match
the signal with the frequency response of the speaker. Passive filters
are very, very limited compared to digital ones so you have to stack a
lot of them or build huge speakers with a very linear frequency response
or you have to use one-way wideband speakers. Stacking lots of filters
creates lots of losses. Building huge speakers is not very practical and
wideband speakers are usually limited in power.

Especially #2 trumps whatever you can do with DACs, power supplies,
cables, whatever. Not worth looking at any of these if you later
introduce signal losses a few orders of magnitude higher.
In very, very high end systems you sometimes use separate amps per
driver or speakers with a linear response but we are talking about stuff
you buy at the cost of a car or so. And why would you even want to do
that in a new design today, now that you can just match the amp with the
speaker since it's cheap enough to put two or three amps into a speaker
housing?

---
learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox
and
Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
at penguinlovesmusic.com
*New: iPeng 7, the Universal App for iOS 7*