jimbobvfr400 wrote:
> Agreed but there's no arguing it does make a difference for quite a lot
> of folks in this particular sub forum.
>
> Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Oh yes there is a case for arguing. While one cannot argue that
expensive cases and other cosmetic features do make a difference for
many audiophiles, one can argue that the difference has absolutely
nothing to do with sound quality. Similar to the paint color on a sports
car - the bright red Ferrari goes just as fast and handles just as well
as the plain white Ferrari.

Now all of our friendly back and forth on this subject would be nothing
more than a friendly discussion if not for the fact that these purely
cosmetic features of high end audio equipment are all too often taken as
a sure sign of their sonic superiority. And the Squeezebox Touch is a
classic example of this line of faulty reasoning. Instead of the high
end audio press embracing the Touch, the Touch was damned with faint
praise, mostly because of it's low price, decidedly non-audiophile
pedigree and plastic case, with minimal mention of it's outstanding
audio qualities.

So sure if one wants to buy audio equipment with super expensive cases
and other fancy cosmetic features and finishes that's all well and good
but please don't for a minute think that all that cosmetic gloss does
anything to improve the sound quality.

Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. &
sub
Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1
& Energy sub
Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
Server: SBS on dedicated windows 7 computer w/2 Drobos