Dogberry2 wrote:
> Oh, I agree, Neil Young is a *true believer*. Ignorant to nine decimal
> places, but a hard-core believer nevertheless.
>
> I read his recent book. It's filled with lots of garbage and idiocy,
> demonstrating that Neil Young doesn't understand:
>
> 1) the difference between audio compression and data compression
> 2) the difference between a low-grade MP3 and a CD audio file
> 3) the inherent limitations of vinyl recordings
> 4) the concepts of noise floor or signal-to-noise ratio in audio
> recording
> 5) the concept of a Fourier transform or the basics of the A-D and D-A
> process
> 6) how a digital audio sampling rate is different from an analog audio
> frequency
>
> Basically, he's been fed a lot of superstitious audiophool bilgewater
> and swallowed it whole. I'm sure if somebody told him that speakers
> sound better when they're made with recycled love beads because they
> have "absorbed cool vibes and the sound will be sweeter when those vibes
> are set free", he'd believe it. He's a good musician, but a total hippie
> crackpot.

As much as I agree with you regarding Young's misguided audio beliefs, I
will always respect Young for his total rejection of drum machines.
Basically he said that the "better" the drum machine the more like a
human drummer it sounds and so he got rid of the drum machines and went
back to using real live drummers. Score one for Neil and for music
lovers everywhere.

Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. &
sub
Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1
& Energy sub
Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
Server: SBS on dedicated windows 7 computer w/2 Drobos