Wombat wrote:
> Don't worry to much about this paper. They proved that by 56% (slightly
> better as flipping a coin) on 45.000$ speakers with special treated
> silent room using SUB-standard filtering that lowpassed music can be
> discerned.
> The exact filters used with MatLab were not offered, leave alone the
> real music samples. It is known the filters are very steep and they used
> a rectangular dither method even the paper writers (Meridian) don't see
> as sufficient but use it for the test.
> Also i saw no clear description if the difference was found as really
> better sounding in any concrete way, only a difference.
> They used an ultra hard metal tweeter with their speakers that itself
> may cause IM in a way that may sound different lowpassed. No attempt was
> made to exclufde that.
> So it may just be the "Most comprehensive paper ever published about
> metal tweeter IM"
> It becomes even more funny when following their conclusion that it must
> be the way of the filter acting while they did not try anything to prove
> different filters sounding different. They more or less copied their
> Meridian marketing speech into the AES paper.
> A clever BUY-IN!
> Thats how i understand it after reading some discussions and snippets of
> the original paper i found online.
>
> I don't know anything about the signals they talk about.
>
> There is also a long thread at Hydrogen with lots of info.

Interesting. Thanks for the summary!

I'm wondering, if you've ever attended these kinds of
talks/presentations? I know that in my field, sometimes criticisms and
arguments can get quite intense even in formal presentations when the
results look questionable and the paper/research appears inadequate.

Archimago's Musings: (archimago.blogspot.com) A 'more objective'
audiophile blog.