probedb wrote:
> 100 bytes is nothing though and if the tags are unicode then you just
> halved that. 50 characters wouldn't cover the song title + artist for
> many of the bands I listen to.

I did say well organised. And I still maintain 100 is reasonable as an
average - for all those long titles there will plenty of short ones as
well. No need to store as full unicode - and the strings are readily
compressible if you want. Artist strings and the like shouldn't be
stored against every track (and you are doing well if you have a library
with a million different artists in it...), and there's little point in
storing any tags in the database that aren't there for searching and
sorting - if you want to see full tag information on a particular track
then just look at the file itself.