Julf wrote:
> And how dramatic is that supposed improvement really? Do we have any
> actual empirical, non-anecdotal evidence someone can hear the
> difference?

I'm not sure what evidence it is which would win your heart and mind.
The strides which have been made in digital over the past few years are
well documented by engineers, pro reviewers, and thousands of informed
audiophiles.  Spend some time with the forum thread and I linked to get
an idea of what's out there these days and how shortcomings have been
and continue to be overcome.

Wondering, by the way, what the difference for you was many years ago
when Transporter came along?  Did you buy one and then discover how
great it was (for the time)?  Isn't that more or less what you'd expect
to happen for yourself and others as new media servers, DACs and other
related products are developed and introduced?

Cary Audio 306 SACD Pro | Cary Audio SLP-05 | Cary Audio SA-200.2 |
Focal Diablo Utopia III
__Acoustic treatment: DIY Cylinder Bass traps | "Rule of Thirds" for
speaker & sweet spot position
__Speaker Cables: Analysis Plus Big Silver Oval | Shunyata Venom series
power cords and power conditioning