jkeny wrote:
> If only the so-called scientific minded would just show some semblance
> of inquisitiveness, it would be a refreshing break from the usual
> cynicism.

if?

The cynicism is based on the lack of inquisitiveness of high end
audiophiles in general.

In 1977 some friends of  mine and I developed an improved methodology
for doing listening tests that controlled the following well-known
biasing factors:

(1) Use comparisons to a fixed, reliable standard.

(2) Minimize switch over times.  Don't rely on cable-swapping,

(3) Use proper level matching.

(4) Listening to the identical same piece of music or drama synchronized
within a few milliseconds.

(5) Concealing the true identity of the UUTs from the listener

Applying these controls is well known to vastly change the outcomes of
listening tests, and generally makes them conform far better to other
independently obtained knowledge about sound quality.

So of course the world of audiophilia picked up these new techniques
with open arms and adopted them as their new standard. (sarcasm!)

Reality is that they (including Jkeny) have been ranting and raving ever
since about how these innovations desensitize their ears and foil their
abilities to enjoy music.

> It seems as though anything that these people are afraid of
> demonstrating any interest or inquisitiveness less they be seen as
> succumbing to a weakness.

That does indeed describe the reaction of about 99% of high end
audiophiles, reviewers and manufacturers to these scientifically proven
innovations.