ralphpnj wrote:
> I'm confused. Isn't the purpose of a double blind test to determine if
> there is, in fact, a difference and not, as the above would have it, to
> determine if one can find/hear/see/feel/sense an -*existing*- (or least
> prejudged) difference.The purpose of a blind test is to eliminate as far as
> possible biases,
influences on our auditory perception - the main one being the cognitive
bias that is cited as being the result of knowing what we are testing.
If you think that you can do a blind test without having first isolated
& nailed down what you think are the specific differences between two
devices then I will put money on you to fail every time when subtle
differences are being tested for. > I mean if everyone knows and admits that is
a difference, such as would
> be the case of music played back using a pair of inexpensive small two
> way bookshelf speakers versus a pair of very expensive, large three way
> floor standing speakers, then what is the point of doing a (pointless)
> double blind test.Well gross differences are not usually blind tested but
> rather the
preference ranking for such gross differences - again the sighted
evaluation of such speakers is shown to lead to a perception of larger
differences than are found when blind tested - The Harmon blind tests
show this.

> Add into all of this confusion the fact that as these DBTs have been
> described over the course of the past 20 or so prior posts, these DBTs
> would be used to determined if a given individual (jh901 in this case)
> can hear a difference and leaves out entire part of DBTs about the
> results being statistically significant and such.As in, so okay some
> audiophile somewhere can correctly tell he difference 70% of the time
> between an mp3, a 16bit/44.1kHz wav and a 24bit/192kHz wav file. Isn't
> the real issue where or not a statistically significant amount of people
> can correctly tell the difference a statistically significant percentage
> of the time?Huh? It's jh901's claims (as this is what he is setting himself
> up for)
that are being tested here. And, if it's going to be used as some sort
of "proof" that jh901 can indeed differentiate between his silver cable
& some cheap copper one, then he will be asked to produce statistically
significant results which requires multiple tests - I believe 12 is the
minimum but perhaps 15 will be called for. But I don't expect that it
will ever get that far because anyone who knows how to do blind testing
of any rigour will know not to waste their time on this - sorry jh901

> Again, I'm confused.No doubt Arny will now contradict everything I've just
> said & confuse
you more :)