Archimago wrote:
> Hey, just adding a comment about an interesting ABX test result rather
> than general comment on ABX as you and Arny have been discussing!
>
> The 16/44 vs. software upsampled 24/192 test is -very different- from
> the jitter one! When did I imply that my comments on the Babyface has
> any bearing on the jitter test to make the "conjectures... threadbare"?
> Please, do not generalize my comments to something I said nothing about!
>
> The jitter test is about an original signal vs. one that has been
> distorted by simulated *1000ns p-p jitter* (correct me if I'm wrong)!
> That's 1 microsecond! That amount of jitter is IMMENSE and the idea that
> someone with good ears can ABX that is certainly not terribly
> surprising. Realize that the Transporter has a measured jitter of
> <300*pico*seconds. In a pure sine wave, I bet most of us will not have
> trouble with simulated 10ns sidebands using good equipment.

You are correct - I shouldn't have generalised your comments -
apologies.

The Jitter ABX testing is not done on just one file which has 1000ns p-p
added jitter - it includes a number of such tests on files with
progressively lower simulated jitter levels & on some files imported
from a pro-audio site purported to have 6ps of simulated jitter.

See '-*this post*-'
(http://www.head-fi.org/t/668878/jitter-correlation-to-audibility/165#post_9838363)
where he shows a relatively positive ABX result - Total: 10/12 (1.9%) on
two files path30n versus path30jr. Which generate the comments "That is
a really excellent result, the difference between the files is always
less than -90.3 dBFS (= 1 LSB in 16-bit resolution), except for a low
level "click" at the end of the file, and only rarely has peaks above
-96 dBFS."

Anyway, the point of posting these ABX tests was his detailed
description of the training, focus & testing technique needed for a
successful audible differentiation - it was not about what the results
signify or don't signify.