darrenyeats wrote:
> I'm pretty sick of this forum, which is why haven't posted here for a
> while. This thread is an apt time and place to express my feelings.
>
> A while ago I wrote here
> http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?100440-Anyone-used-this-AudiophileOptimizer&p=773022&viewfull=1#post773022:
> "Guys, you are coming across like some vigilantes patrolling the forum
> with burning torches, ready to beat up anyone who says anything
> foo-like."
>
> This isn't a forum for scientific peer review, it's an audio forum.
> Chill.
>
> A moderator on another forum wrote: "you can have an amazing system in
> the home for exactly what I paid for mine.  A penny more means you're
> recklessly wasteful -- a veritable prodigal son of hi-fi buying -- and a
> penny less means you're a skint bastard." OH HOW TRUE!
>
> Perhaps some of the rationalists here should take a look at their own
> systems, all the excuses about wanting features, reliability etc are BS,
> you bought that kit because you thought it did, or would, sound good. Do
> you absolutely know you made the optimal cost-effective choice?
>
> We're all in it because we like good sound and don't deny it.
>
> It's just a hobby. Nobody outside this small group gives a row of beans
> about what systems we have, or these ridiculous internet arguments.
> Try to enjoy the hobby, it should be fun - and enjoy the music before
> that.
> Darren

Darren, what's eating at you man? Why so serious!? Looks to me like just
the usual "spate" of threads...

Discussion about a USB cable that changed sound in one channel (which
eventually admittedly there was some kind of hardware issue, not cable
related?), an amazing thread on claims of "morphic" room treatment which
I think is clearly bizarre, Mark Waldrep an his argument with "CD
Illumination", the usual banter about power cables, the usual banter
about speaker cables and doing a blind test, and some cool threads about
digital room correction.

I don't think rationalists make a claim of spending money "optimally"
(not one dollar more or less). Rational modern people (I believe /
hope!) incorporate understanding and science into the decision making
and can also incorporate humor into our less rational decisions since we
are all human! That's just being insightful about our quirks and
limitations. I can laugh at myself for having tried Peter Belt's rainbow
foils, spent hours twisting together ungodly amounts of Cat5 cables for
speaker wiring, using rubber cement to "reinforce" the case to my CD
player so it didn't vibrate, and obsessing over the type of footer I
needed under my equipment for years... Personally, I'm glad to be
liberated from those beliefs.

I do agree though that we shouldn't be too angry, anxious, or
frustrated. It's only a forum!

I'm not sure if I would have felt upset about coming here or reading the
guess it depends on the person and whether they allow themselves to feel
insulted about beliefs in a hobby.

Archimago's Musings: (archimago.blogspot.com) A 'more objective'
audiophile blog.