doctor_big wrote:
> To follow up with your analogy regarding food.  Say you spend $500 on a
> hand-made, forged Japanese chef's knife.  You buy high-end waterstones
> to polish and refine the edge, which you get down to one molecule and it
> glows blue when Orcs are around.  You make a meal with this knife, and
> -- as you said -- your pride in what you did makes it taste better.
> Wouldn't it suck to post this pride in your work on a forum and have a
> bunch of cheerless wankers jump all over you saying you wasted your
> money and that a $50 Wusthorf is as good?

I don't think we have an issue with that - what we have an issue with is
someone who sells knives and his friend who has come up with a badly
working sharpening stone walking into a cooking forum claiming cutlery
makes a major difference to the taste of food, and how the usual way of
tasting food must be flawed because it doesn't show the difference.

"To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this
fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt
edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953