RonM wrote:
> The fact that there are some, such as the poster quoted above, who
> persist in beliefs that at some level they know can't be true is a sad
> reflection of broader social reality.  Climate change denial, anyone?
>
> Of course, on both the bigger (societal) and smaller (audiophile) issues
> it becomes necessary for these poor souls to imagine faults in the
> objective data, such as "ABX masks differences".  Or "climate change
> theory is a radical conspiracy".  Pretty feeble.
>
> R.

The subject of climate change is one that I follow very closely, not as
a climate scientist but a concerned inhabitant of the planet Earth, and
there are certainly parallels between high end audio pseudoscience and
climate change denial. For example both audio engineering and the study
of climate are both based on hard science, however in both cases there
are those who would have us believe that the science behind each subject
is somehow not settled. The term for this in audio is FUD (fear,
uncertainty and doubt) and a similar tactic is being used by the climate
change deniers, i.e. only 97% of climate scientists believe that climate
change is caused by human activity so therefore the science is not
settled. For more information on how this battle is being waged (and for
the most part, won by the deniers since they have much better funding) I
suggest the book "Merchants of Doubt" by Erik M. Conway and Naomi
Oreskes
(http://www.amazon.com/Merchants-Doubt-Handful-Scientists-Obscured/dp/1608193942)

Archimago wrote:
> A few points I need to make. First, there is no "gang". Although a
> number of "objectivists" are gathered here, as far as I am aware, it's
> not like we chat behind the scenes about the postings and somehow have a
> common view about everything! Well, if there is some kind of weekly
> -Objectivists Anonymous- meeting, I guess I have not been invited :-).

Archimago I have no idea why you have been left out of our weekly
meetings, I will send you a PM with all the info about the next meeting
of The Proudly Objectivist Society (no anonymous business for us, we
proudly wear our objectivity right on our sleeves) meeting :)

Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. &
sub
Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1
& Energy sub
Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
Server: SBS on dedicated windows 7 computer w/2 Drobos