doctor_big wrote:
> A point - I like nice, thick, well-made cables, ones that cost a lot of
> money (which I can afford).  I liken it to putting proper P0 tires on my
> Maserati.  Would General tires from Green and Ross do just as well for
> way less money?  Probably.  Would I notice a difference?  Probably not.
> But I'm not gonna do it.  I would KNOW they're sub-par for the car.
> Same with my stereo.  I won't put zip cord between my tube mono amp and
> my $30k speakers. Does the cable I have in there now sound better than
> zip cord?  Seems to me like it does.  Could I pick it out in an ABX
> test?  No goddamn way - I'm not stupid.  But still, I think it sounds
> best with these here high-end cables, so I'm going to leave them in.  It
> works for me.

Right. So you acknowledge you are making an emotional, non-rational
choice. We all do that. Do I own the most sensible car for me? Hell, no.
Do I argue it is? No.

> Now, if I were to post in the General forum about how my thick,
> penis-enlarging cables sound better than zip cord - have at it. Crucify
> me.  I'd deserve it.  But if I want to talk about getting rid of
> upper-midrange glare by changing cables down here in the audiophile
> basement, why should I have to deal with a gang of petty goons calling
> me an idiot?

In both forums, it would be totally OK to state "I know there is no
rational reason to prefer a thick cable, but I feel better with a cable
as thick as a python that just ate an aardvark". Should the audiophile
forum be labelled "no rules of physics or rational thinking apply"?

"To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this
fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt
edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953