doctor_big wrote:
> cables sound better.  Only that I like having them in my system, and
> that my system SEEMS to sound better.  Just like wearing a nice suit
> makes me feel more confident.  The suit does nothing, but my perception
> of the suit is what counts.

I don't think any of us have any issues with that. What we do have an
issue with is "I *know* X sounds better than Y, because I can hear the
difference, and if ABX doesn't show any difference, it is ABX that is
flawed".

> But I can take my experience - a lifetime of listening to different
> amplifiers and hearing substantial differences between them -- and end
> up with the belief, or knowledge, or confidence, that often they sound
> different from each other.  That's not cognitive dissonance.

It is - if there actually aren't any differences.

It is just like our whole lifetime experience of seeing flat horizons is
telling us earth is flat - despite measurements telling us it isn't so.

> I say go for it - take an ABX test and try to pick out whether you can
> hear the difference between 128kb MP3s and 16bit wav files.  My guess is
> that without some training you'll have difficulties.

Indeed.

> Then spend a day listening to MP3s and then another day listening to the
> same music in wav format.  Heck, do the second part blind!  I'd wager
> that you'll enjoy the wav files much more, even if you can't pick them
> out in the ABX test.

And that would be a valid test only if there was no other way for you to
know which day it was mp3 files, and which day it was wav (or flac).
Have you done that?

"To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this
fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt
edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953