(http://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php?showtopic=105754):

> FLAC decoding is something like 50 CPU cycles/sample. I doubt you can
> load a WAV file from disk that quickly due to the high bitrate.
>

> FLACs can play on a 486 at 66 MHz

The point is, the default compression level of FLAC can be decoded
extremely quickly. There is no reason to think you will run into a
processor which is too slow, not even in weak embedded systems or on
other really basic hardware.

Besides, there's the other effect Julf already mentioned. WAV has a
higher bitrate than FLAC so there's more IO load (certainly when it
comes to moving data from non-volatile storage into RAM; perhaps when
moving data from RAM into caches and registers as well). If our system
is so extremely low-specced such that we run into bottlenecks, it's
quite possible that WAV is more problematic due to its higher IO
intensity.