SBGK wrote:
> what's the chain ?
>
> flac -> sox -> aplay -> pcm -> kernel -> drivers -> device
>
> wav -> aplay -> pcm -> kernel -> drivers -> device
>
> so kernel and drivers see the same amount of data unless the sample
> rates and/or bit depth are different, but then you're comparing apples
> and pears.

so borrowing from Pippin

Packetized network traffic->NIC->Network driver->flac -> sox ->decode
buffer->play buffer->aplay -> pcm -> kernel -> drivers -> device

There is code to fill a decode buffer and then copy that to a play
buffer, perhaps the efficiency of that is different between flac and
wav. Is sox decoding a batch of data at a time ?

I've always found wav to sound better than flac whether it was on pc or
sbt or apple Touch, flac would have a difference in timing which wasn't
present with wav.

I use flac for archive, so am happy that after conversion the data is
the same, it's just the effect of decoding at the same time.

Touch optimisations http://touchsgotrythm.blogspot.co.uk/