cliveb wrote:
> Ralph, a more pertinent set of questions would be:
>
> a). how much jitter is required to actually cause an audible
> difference?
> b). what types of (non-broken) connection can causes that amount of
> jitter?
>
> The answers to these questions are:
>
> a). Surprisingly high. Two well-known properly conducted trials are:
>
> Benjamin & Gannon.
> Theoretical and audible effects of jitter on digital audio quality.
> 105th AES Convention, 1998
> Jitter added to digital signal between transport and DAC with a
> hardware device.
> Conclusions: uncorrelated jitter inaudible below 10nS rms on pure
> tones;
> uncorrelated jitter inaudible below 20nS rms on music
> signal
>
> Ashihara, Kiryu et al.
> Detection threshold for distortions due to jitter on digital audio.
> Acoust. Sci. & Tech. 26, 1 (2005)
> Jitter simulated in the digital domain.
> Conclusions: uncorrelated jitter inaudible below 250nS on music
> signal.
>
> b). None.
>
> So in summary, you don't need to worry about what connection type you
> use as far as jitter is concerned. Or rather, you don't need to worry
> about jitter at all. It's not the bogeyman that the audiophile community
> like to think it is.
>

> I know you have a sense of humour, Arny, so I'm surprised that Ralph's
> earlier joke post seems to have gone over your head.

Thank you Clive for that very clear and thorough answer and also for
reminding Arny that I was, indeed, only joking about the audible effects
of tagging.

Based on what I've observing it would appear that jitter is now
replacing "clean power" along with several other audiophile bogeymen as
the newest in the ongoing line of audiophile bogeymen. I guess even fake
cures need fake illnesses for hem to be effective (where "effective"
means the ability to make people part with their money).

Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. &
sub
Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1
& Energy sub
Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
Server: SBS on dedicated windows 7 computer w/2 Drobos