Once again some very informative and entertaining musings. Thank you
Archimago!

As I read the piece I found myself musing about how much of advertising,
and a closely related way high end audio, is based on many of these
known cognitive biases. There is a good reason why a new car salesperson
always seems to have a child in college/sick parent/health
problem/insurance issue/etc. closely resembling the exact situation the
buyer is experiencing. Remember that it can rather easy to con someone
if you know the right buttons push and audiophiles seem to have lots and
lots of very big buttons.

Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. &
sub
Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1
& Energy sub
Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
Server: SBS on dedicated windows 7 computer w/2 Drobos