darrenyeats wrote:
> Can you remember where you read that?
Sorry, this goes back to 2005 or 2006. I have tried searching the forums
to find the threads that discussed the firmware updates in detail, but
without success. But I do distinctly remember seeing discussions about
how the volume adjustment had been modified to avoid the need to use the
25th bit for all but extreme attenuation settings.

The one place where this is mentioned in passing is in an exchange
between myself and Patrick Dixon (posts #11 to #16) in this thread:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?28133-Transporter-Confused-about-volume-control/page2

darrenyeats wrote:
> According to my tests on the TOUCH, vol approx 30-100 seems to obey
> approx 0.5dB per step (which would make vol 40 approx -30db) but below
> 30 the drop off in dB is more rapid.
I can't say anything about the Touch. The firmware change I remember was
for the old players (SB2/3, TP), from way before the Duet or Touch were
introduced.

Transporter -> ATC SCM100A