ralphpnj wrote:
> I could not agree more since attempting to read the entire paper just
> gave me a terrible headache. So while the paper may or may not be an
> example of pseudo-profound bullshit, it is most definitely a very fine
> example of pseudo-academic bullshit.

Just because a long, detailed paper may give the reader fatigue or a
headache is not an indication that it lacks academic rigor, potentially
quite the opposite.

On the other hand, the authors' concluding sentence is quite humorously
self-aware:
> That people vary in their receptivity toward bullshit is perhaps less
> surprising than the fact that psychological scientists have heretofore
> neglected this issue. Accordingly, although this manuscript may not be
> truly profound, it is indeed meaningful.

The claim that because an area of study is novel, it is necessarily
meaningful is also a -non sequitur-, and I'm calling bullshit on that
one! There are many things that have not been studied and can be left
unstudied without any loss to the body of human knowledge or wisdom. I
would further suggest that the particular area of Bullshit Receptivity
is -a priori- not sufficiently distinct from other psychological studies
of gullibility for which the literature is abundant.

I also find some of their methodology flawed: E.g., given a set of
pseudo-profound bullshit statements of equal, but zero merit, it would
be a brave soul who rated them all  as "Not at all profound." The human
tendency to rate everything on a curve, played a role here, along with
the reasonable assumption that the prompt for the questions "We are
interested in how people experience the profound." was probably sincere,
given the academic setting. That deceitful introductory rubric to Study
1 was a pure gullibility test, and the average response of 2.6 on that
study measured the subjects' receptivity to the set-up, and general
trust of academic institutions more than it did to the nonsense the
followed.

My summary: quite entertaining, but not useful.