arnyk wrote:
> The obvious conclusion is age discrimination. As people grow older, they
> may learn how to become more sensitive listeners. They may also learn
> better than to believe everything they read.
>
> How many subjectivists disparage John Atkinson's reviews - he's pushing
> 70, you  know. He graduated from University around 1971.  That was 44
> years ago. Add a probable age at graduation of ca. 23.
>
> Robert Harley is probably a decade younger. Finding out their true
> birthdays may be tougher than finding out the corresponding info about
> female Hollywood stars.

I think in this case age discrimination goes hand in hand with
discrimination based on hearing abilities. I don't know the exact stats
for age related hearing loss but it would be very hard to believe that a
man in his mid-60s, such as Atkinson, does not have some degree of age
related hearing loss. So while his hearing sensitivity may have
increased, his ability to hear some high frequencies has more than
likely decreased. Stereophile's recommended components listings feature
speakers labelled "restricted LF" (low frequency) so perhaps a few of
their equipment reviewers should be labelled "restricted HF" (high
frequency).

Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. &
sub
Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1
& Energy sub
Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
Server: LMS 7.9 on dedicated windows 10 computer w/2 Drobos