Hificricketboy wrote:
> I tend to read reviews a lot

As Wombat hinted at, hi-fi magazines make their money from advertisers
(subscription fees usually barely cover postage). How long would a hi-fi
mag that reported "this expensive cable made no difference to our
system" survive? I do feel sorry for hi-fi reviewers that have to come
up with flowery language day in and day out to describe supposed
differences.

> and sometimes manufacturers information to determine if a cable is
> suitable (of a good design).

What criteria and parameters do you look at?

> I then use my ears.

But do you use *only* your ears, or do you allow expectation bias to
affect your listening? As they say, "you hear what you believe", unless
in well-controlled, double-blind listening tests.

> But then I use valve amps which no doubt measure terribly but sound
> fantastic, to my ears.

Nothing wrong with subjective preferences.

"To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this
fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt
edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953