Gazjam wrote:
> And they say Americans dont do irony... ;)
>
> Arny,
> Theres better ways to enjoy your retirement as Im sure you know.
>
> Chill out, put on your favourite music on a good system...or any system
> really...cant tell the difference in sound quality without measuring the
> kit with a scope and double blind testing.
> Only problem is you cant SEE to change the CD over with your eyes shut?

Comments like "Chill out" are often interpreted as "Talking down".  If I
haven't learned how to chill in 7 decades, it would be pretty hopeless.
If you understand the application of DBTs to audio you'd know that the
big message that they deliver is a hearty "Chill out".

> Would you expect it to measure worse or better than the Transporter?

The Transporter DAC is a very fine piece of work the AKM AK4396
multi-bit Sigma-Delta reference DAC - likely to measure better than a
very high proportion of the audio DACs in service or on the market.

AKM AK4396 - a piece with about 120 dB SNR
-http://www.akm.com/akm/en/file/datasheet/AK4396VF.pdf   vast overkill
for even the highest quality audio.

> And would your expectations of differences between the two systems
> affect the outcome of the test?

Not a proper comparison - the Transpoerter is a digital musical player,
and the GPX is a complete system.  I think we all know GPX's position in
the audio food chain - bottom feeders.  However, good DAC chips have
gotten so cheap that it may well be based on a DAC chip that is
sonically indistinguishable from the best. It no doubt measures far
worse, but measurements aren't at all the same as listening. Listening
has a clear and present  law of diminishing returns, and measurements,
much less so.