edwardthern wrote:
> This statement takes away your whole previous post and contradicts your
> past rhetoric.
>
> Yes the DAC chips do have their own qualities to begin with, which in
> listening tests makes them sound different.

(A) The above statement is highly dependent on what kind of "listening
tests" you are talking about.  If the so-called listening test is just
an audiophile audition, then validity is out the door because of the
well-known failings of the so-called test.

If the listening test is:

(1) Level matched
(2) Time synched
(3) Bias controlled (usually that means double blind)

then its findings might actually be interesting to knowledgeable
people.

(B) there is also the matter of the vague phrase "...their own
qualities..."   Every distinct object in this universe has unique
qualities, if no other than that it is in a unique place or that it has
a unique velocity.  Obviously, some unique qualities are more important
than others. Based on  current and historic scientific knowledge about
the sensitivity of human ears, we know for sure that many DACs do not
differ from others in terms of their signal processing accuracy in ways
that are audible to anybody, even people with the very best hearing.

When someone starts pontificating about the differences in terms of
sound quality of DACs known to be practically perfect in terms of sound
quality, we know we are listening to personal fantasies and not
knowledge that has any actual meaning other than entertainment based on
the weird and baseless things that some people will say.