Thanks for the replies

Julf - Exactly I am trying to fathom out why a regen device would be
causing this effect. I had some notion that the touch outputs 24 bits vs
16 bit sources and this padding is being "corrected" by the intona maybe
volume maxed. The A/N DAC is 20 bit so it may be affected, but I am no
expert hence the question.

ArnyK
re level matching. My point around this is that I level matched the
control April Music Dac vs the audio note dac before changing anything.
I then added in the Intona device to the Audio Note chain where-upon the
devices were no longer level matched. Not even close; I think it was
also clipping so I reverted and sure enough the level dropped. I would
have rechecked the levels if I was going to do an AB or DBT test, but
thought I might damage some kit or worse my ears. I really wasn't
expecting to hear any difference despite the multitude of rave reviews
so this result was quite a shock.

MyNB -  the audio note Dac is an old one with a conventional filter
albeit with a valve/tube output stage. So quite conventional by A/N
standards.

I know some of you guys have strong opinions on valves, however I just
think they are amplification devices and can be done well or badly, I
like them for cosmetic reasons. The reason why I bought the A/N was
because it was the best that I auditioned back in 98 and I got it ex
demo for 50% discount. At that time, I auditioned a bucket load of DACs
and this is the only one in my price range that imaged well and didn't
draw attention to itself. I bought the April Music DAC to replace the
Audio Note and a valve headphone amp as it was more compact, they sound
almost identical.

I haven't bought any kit for 3 years so I am just scratching an itch to
see if I can squeeze anything more out of the digital chain by further
over-engineering it.

To be honest I am not expecting much/anything. I found early on that
replacing the crap freeby cables that came with gear in the 80s did make
a difference, so  assumed that paying more will make it better. However
in the last 20 years where I thought I have heard a difference it has
either been: Placebo, a dodgey product e.g. picking up RFI, or me mixing
the L/R connectors.