foxesden wrote:
> the 10db figure is an estimate, subjectively 2 times louder. In terms of
> the preamp volume I had to turn the volume down by 1/4 of the dial to
> level match again after plugging in the intona device. So I am
> comfortable ruling out Placebo.  If you disagree and still think I am
> self delusional, that's fine with me - but your further contribution to
> this thread would be illogical.

Wrong. You don't have a measurement of the perceived level change, and
so it can be dismised as being just a perception and not a fact. The
change can't happen for a reason that you seem to know. but apparently
don't know how to apply.

> The change that I made was 1 USB printer cable replaced by 1 new short
> cable + 1 intona device + 1 new short cable, no audiophile cables were
> used in this test.  Anyway this is the reply that I got from the
> manufacturer
>
> "
> the data itself will not be modified by the isolator. This is proven by
> the checksum mechanism.
> The only thing that I can think of is that some control packets (e.g.
> gain information) are missing, resulting from a lousy connection.

Not true, for the same reason as already given.  At the point where any
such gain data is checksummed, it is streamed with the audio data.  You
obviously have no clue as to the details of USB data transmission.  Tha
may help:

http://www.beyondlogic.org/usbnutshell/usb3.shtml

> There are very often issues using "audiophile" USB cables along with the
> isolator, having "intentionally" broken screens or similar.

I don't believe that, again for the reason you gave. Anything that
breaks any part of a digital data stream can and probably will break any
other part of it.  There are some exceptions to that rule such as
strings of repeated 0 bits and strings of repeated zero bits, but those
are removed from the data stream as it is encoded. So, we are left with
that nasty truism:  Anything that breaks any part of a digital data
stream can and probably will break any other part of it.

> Thus being defective from normative view.
> In case of that: please check again using standard, "printer grade"
> cables (even no ferrites, ideally wearing "USB certified" logo).
> This is a sensitive point in the isolator because it breaks the shield
> by definition - another break by a "defective" cable leads to a higher
> transmission error rate.
> "
>
> I will retry as the manufacturer proposed - but this will not be for a
> few days.

The vendor is talking out of his butt.

Please repeat after me:  Anything that breaks any part of a digital data
stream can and probably will break any other part of it.