Got into a good discussion and fellow music lover over a bottle of Pinot
Noir last night, and we talked about how our music listening experiences
had changed... and what might happen down the road...

Personally - the biggest change to my music listening *ever* was due to
the SB product line a bit over 11 or 12 years ago. I went from CD jockey
to exclusively listening to digitized music within the time it took me
to rip my extensive CD library (it took 2 years, with some mistakes
along the way due to wrong assumptions). Initially, I thought I'd use
the SB for convenience, but that for my more in-depth listening CDs were
irreplaceable because I imagined they'd "sound better"... don't ask me
why, old habits are initially hard to break.

Looking forward... I imagine a few things may change the way I listen to
music...

(1) Room correction. I have experimented with it. Not yet sold on
existing solutions. Call me old fashioned. Maybe I lucked out with my
current room. But I am sure it'll get there and make a huge difference.

(2) Music library... main location on one's mobile device. It's kinda
striking to see that storage capacity on mobile device has kinda
plateau'd around the "magic" 32, 64 and 128 GB options for a few
years... probably with the prevalence of 4k video the need for more will
finally force mobile device designers to up the ante, and *that* is when
people like some of us *could* possibly consider migrating our entire
music collection (mine is around 480GB). I know, I know... "But Pablo,
your entire collection will reside in the cloud! Companies are migrating
to cloud strategies, so it should be good enough for you!". Well,
companies have long term storage strategies that make sure a cloud
accident can't obliterate their data, and I haven't seen those make it
to consumer level media storage yet. Is it a business niche someone
should exploit? Probably a disappearing niche. Those of us with music
libraries are probably a species in the process of extinction. 99.999%
of people will never discover a music universe outside of Spotify.

(3) Audio quality breakthrough with UltraHD, 16x times CD quality bla
bla: In 10 years I'll still have 2 ears that will still have been shaped
by a few million years of human evolution, and I doubt they'll get any
better. Naw. But I betcha the usual suspects will try to sell us the
stuff. :-D

(4) Improvements in electronics and loudspeaker design: Marginal and
diminishing returns, as it has been for many years. Same for more exotic
material (Shazanium-coated ultra-audial tweeters etc).

(5) A better UI for music apps. Please.

...pablo
Server: Virtual Machine (on VMware Workstation 12) running Ubuntu 16.04
+ LMS 7.9
System: SB Touch --optical->- Benchmark DAC2HGC --AnalysisPlus Oval
Copper XLR->- NAD M22 Power Amp --AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval->- Totem
Element Fire
Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Classic-> NAD D7050 -> Totem
DreamCatcher + Velodyne Minivee Sub
Computer audio: workstation --USB->- audioengine D1 -> Grado
PS500e/Shure 1540